The Starship is an innovative, material step towards reducing emissions and increasing overall efficiency and fuel economy in the transport sector. This next-generation truck features a custom, aerodynamic design and aims to demonstrate improvements in fuel economy for class 8 trucks while lowering CO2 emissions.
THE NEXT INNOVATION
The pursuit of significant fuel economy gains for class 8 trucks and trailers is a challenging process given the size and traditional construction of a tractor and trailer. However, with new fuel economy regulations on the horizon and the need for continuing advances in fuel economy, Shell Lubricants recognizes that a holistic approach to making fuel economy gains is important.
Shell Lubricants and AirFlow Truck Company joined forces to develop a hyper-fuel efficient Class 8 tractor trailer, Starship—and are sending it coast-to-coast to see just how energy efficient goods transport by road can be. Follow along with the journey #ShellStarship.
The Starship Initiative is designed to explore the future of what’s possible in truck design, fuel economy savings and CO2 reduction.
- Bespoke 100% hyper-aerodynamic carbon fiber Cab
- Active Grill Shutters (active based on temperature to maximize aerodynamics and maximize efficiency)
- Aerodynamic boat tail for streamlined air flow around truck and drag reduction
- Hybrid electric axle system for a power boost while climbing grades
- Custom automatic tire inflation system for consistent tire pressure and optimal fuel economy
- Downspeed axle configuration provides improved efficiency and pulling power
- 5000 Watt solar array charges and stores power for normal electrical components
- Shell Technologies for Starship:
- Utilizes full synthetic Shell Heavy Duty Engine Oil
- Shell Rotella DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid and Shell ROTELLA Extended Life Coolant keep engine and cooling systems at peak efficiency
- Spirax S6 GXME 75W-80 transmission oil, Spirax S5 ADE 75W-85 differential oil and Spirax S6 GME 40 wheel hub oil for performance and protection