Spot market rates may be getting ready to rise, according to DAT’s Trendlines. Rates leveled off for vans and flatbeds during the week ending Feb. 20, 2016, and demand increased for both equipment categories. Reefer rates dipped slightly, however, due to a change in the fuel surcharge.
Total load volume increased 4.1 percent on the spot market for the week. Van load posts increased 4 percent while truck posts declined 3 percent for a 7.4 percent increase in the load-to-truck ratio from 1.3 to 1.4 loads per truck. A 1 percent increase in flatbed capacity was offset by a 10 percent increase in load volume, yielding a 10 percent increase in the load-to-truck ratio from 9.6 to 10.6 loads per truck.
Both van and flatbed rates held at $1.58 and $1.83 per mile, respectively. While rates didn’t rise, a positive change in volume is significant, as capacity has been trending up while rates have fallen.
Refrigerated load posts declined 6 percent for the week, which combined with a 1 percent increase in truck posts to cause a 7 percent decline in the load-to-truck ratio of 3.1 to 2.9 loads per trucks. Rates dropped one cent to $1.84 per mile.